Being hurt in a car accident can really throw a wrench in the gears of your life.
Aside from excruciating physical and emotional pain during your recovery and the frustration of lessened mobility and time away from work, you will also likely be faced with an enormous financial burden due to your resulting medical treatments.

But who pays for these medical bills?

While an injury settlement or verdict at trial is something to look forward to it will take several years.  So, what do you do in the short run to help you cover your ever-increasing medical bills and costs?

Medical Payment Insurance Coverage: Many drivers in states that operate under traditional fault-based car insurance systems have medical payment insurance coverage, also known as “med pay.”

Med pay coverage will pay the medical bills of drivers and passengers injured while riding with the insured person up to the limits of the policy, which is usually less than $10,000. If your expenses exceed your policy’s limit, you will be responsible for paying the difference.

Many of our injured clients do not have med pay coverage and so they must rely exclusively on their own private medical coverage whether it be Kaiser, Blue Shield, Health Net, et al. Some clients without insurance must then apply for mediCal if they qualify.

The problem with this scenario is that your insurance company will have their hand out and want to be reimbursed from your settlement or verdict recovery.  But we know how to reduce their liens and handle this matter for our clients so they end up with more money in their pockets.

Health insurance: If you do not have med pay coverage, or if your medical bills exceed its limits, your health insurance will cover your costs as the bills come due.  AGAIN, It’s important to note, however, that if your health insurer pays for your medical expenses, they may be entitled to reimbursement for these expenses out of your eventual settlement.

Medicare: Medicare will pay for the medical bills of eligible individuals as they are incurred. Like health insurance, Medicare is also entitled to reimbursement but usually at a much lower amount. However, this is a double sword in that low medical bills translates into an overall lower settlement.

Medicaid: Medicaid is a federal program which assists states in providing health insurance to people with low incomes. If you receive health insurance through a state-run program and are injured in an accident, that program will pay your medical bills. Again, like health insurance and Medicare, Medicaid is entitled to reimbursement for these costs.

Workers’ Compensation: If your car accident occurred during the scope of your occupation, your employer’s workers’ compensation insurer will likely cover all your medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, and transportation costs for all travel to and from your medical appointments.


Unfortunately, dealing with insurance companies of any kind after a car accident can prove to be a long uphill battle.

If you have been injured in a car accident in Sonoma County, Marin County or anywhere throughout the North Bay, the personal injury attorneys at Fiumara and Milligan Law are here to help you 24/7. Call our office and one of our operators will connect you to an experienced personal injury attorney.  

With compassionate guidance backed by 40+ years of combined personal injury experience, we can handle all the negotiations with the involved insurers on your behalf and work to make sure you receive access to the best medical treatment and reimbursement you deserve.

“The Right Personal Injury Attorney Makes All the Difference”

Michael A. Fiumara

About Michael A. Fiumara

Leave a Reply

Call Now
Text Us